Saturday, October 17, 2015

Little Goals - Big Improvements


I said a post or 2 ago that I was attempting to run twice a week. While I'm not quite reaching that quite yet, I'm not getting rid of it yet. For the past month, I've run once a week. With only 4 runs, I've gone from running about .7 of a mile to 1.1 miles. That's .4 of a mile that I've been able to improve in just a month. Although to some, that may seem like a tiny amount and to some it may seem like a length that will never be reachable. It doesn't really matter about WHAT the number is, but achieving a goal. And it doesn't matter how long it takes, but staying consistent is key.

I'm unbelievably proud of myself, considering that I was barely out of bed last year, and I really was surprised about how little it took to just improve. If you have an inkling of a goal, I'd say go for it! You'll never know if you'll learn to love something if you don't try it. During the gym years of middle school and high school when we were forced to run, I absolutely hated it. We had to run a certain amount, on certain days, and when the temperature was absolutely freezing which isn't something I enjoy. Now, with my Nike+ app in hand, some music in my ears, and running to my schedule, I've fallen in love with that satisfactory feeling it brings me.  

I have even bigger goals now to improve. I've laid out some tips if you're beginning that goal:

  • Write it down: I've written down every time I've ran on my little white board calendar. Having it in a physical presence not only makes me feel good about what I've done, but also comes as a good reminder to keep going. 
  • Don't reach too high or too low; know your limits: back when I was doing hard core club volleyball, I was running 3 miles. But that just isn't a good place for me right now, as I am once again learning to get back into shape for running. Saying that, the first couple of runs I did, I didn't set a goal for myself, but instead just ran what I was capable of. From there, I set my goal of a mile, and was able to achieve it pretty quickly. 
  • Be positive! There will be good and bad days! If you end up doing worse, it's perfectly okay. In the grand scheme of things, the more you do something the more you'll improve. It'll take patience and effort, but you know it's very much worth it. 
I hope you guys can take away some positivity in this, even if it's not for running. It could be for academics, or cooking, really anything. It's all up to you now to take control, and reach your goal. Sorry, cheesy rhymes are my thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment